provide a virtual proof of identity
What is two-factor authentication?
Secure authentication over electronic channels provides a virtual proof of identity, verifying that someone attempting to log into the banking application is, in fact, who they claim to be. VASCO’s proven one-time password technology establishes a user’s identity with the two following factors: something they know (a PIN) and something they have (a VASCO DIGIPASS). This is called two-factor authentication or strong authentication. While it comes in a variety of forms, it operates on one common principle: a user-interfacing device generates a dynamic, one-time password that is submitted to the back-end system for verification. Access to the electronic banking system or application is granted only to properly authenticated users.
Traditional hardware one-time password generators have proven themselves in the marketplace, where they enjoy the largest market share and installed base of their industry. They offer the strongest factor of authentication used to secure financial customers across all electronic channels, including mobile phones, Internet, and ATMs. With over 100 million people using VASCO’s hardware authenticators around the globe, it is one of the most proven and cost-effective security solutions for financial institutions worldwide.
Traditional hardware authentication methods have distinct advantages:
- Time-based dynamic passwords are difficult to compromise
- Refreshes every 32 seconds
- Can be used only once
- A unique secret value resides in each device
- In case of loss or theft of the hardware device, immediate action can be taken
- Protects against both internal and external fraud
Difficult to Compromise
- Not connected to a PC or network
- Hardware authenticators cannot be duplicated, remotely hacked, or spoofed
Consistency and User Convenience
- Can be used consistently across multiple electronic channels, including mobile phones, Internet, and ATMs
- A single device can be used to authenticate a variety of applications, including those associated with VRU, cash management, ACH and wire transfers, and credit card transactions, among others.
- Eliminates the need to come up with complex, hard-to-remember passwords, thus promoting user-friendliness
- DIGIPASS hardware authenticators are available in a variety of shapes, sizes and colors
- Fully-customizable with your corporate brand, colors and logo
Components of this solution
- DIGIPASS GO Series
- DIGIPASS e-Signature
- VACMAN Controller